How Much I Made
Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty right away! Drumroll please…
Over the course of 2014, I made a whopping $3,454.00 in addition to my primary income!
That may not seem like a lot to all of you, but I think that’s a sizable chunk of change right there!
How I Got Started
I’ve been caring for children for over fifteen years by now, so I won’t start all the way back from the beginning. In 2013, I was on a mission to make some extra cash around the holidays. I interviewed for a mall retail job over the holidays which I would get minimum wage for, and of course got an offer. However, I just realistically couldn’t see myself working retail again, I hated it. So, I decided I would market myself as a holiday babysitter, available for parties or if parents needed time to shop on their own without the children. I inquired about a posting by a family who lived close to me that I found on Sittercity.com, and the rest is history. For my pet-sitting gigs, I found a family local through Care.com.
1. I make DOUBLE what I was offered in the retail position. If you have experience, and work for the right family, you can make a good deal of money caring for someone else’s children.
2. I’m able to multitask by doing school work while I’m working. I typically watch the kids until about 9:00pm. After they go to bed, I’m free to do school work, make phone calls, pay bills, and watch television, read, or do any number of things to be productive with my time. That’s a win-win!
3. Kids are Fun! I would much rather get paid to play PlayStation and watch Frozen a million times than to push holiday merchandise on miserable mall shoppers.
4. Location, Location, Location! I was very lucky and found a family lives less than 5 minutes from my current home. They also happen to own a very nice house. Who wouldn’t want to spend their working hours in a private home as opposed to a mall? Malls are evil, avoid them.
5. CASH is king! I get paid in cash by my employers at the end of each shift. This is convenient, and beats having to wait two weeks for a paycheck.
6. You build a relationship. The family I babysit for is special to me. We catch up with each other, and even exchange gifts at Christmas. If you are someone who truly loves people, it’s a great spot to be in.
7. A second stream of income is great. I have had many moments when it has been beneficial to have a second stream of income. If I lost my, I would still have some money coming in through an established source.
8. I can say “Not tonight…” We all have those nights where we have something else going on, or are just too tired to work. I can plan around other events in my life, and turn down an offer if I just can’t do it that night. (OR I just don’t want to!) That’s definitely not something I can say about my 9-5 job.
1. Kids can be difficult. Sometimes, a strong-willed child can ruin your night. This could happen any day, and you have to be ready for it,
2. The hours are often during times filled with a lot of social activities. There are plenty of times I missed going out with my pals on a Friday night because I chose to babysit. It’s a tradeoff.
3. Your income is dependent on your employer’s income. If the parents you work for suffer a difficult financial situation, it will probably affect your pay as well. They may not go out as much, or need your services. Your position may be eliminated altogether.
After looking at what I made as side income last year, and taking all of the good and bad into consideration, I will definitely continue to be an adult babysitter in 2015. It is a valuable established source of income that fits into my lifestyle.
Are you interested in finding your next babysitting or pet-sitting gig? Check out Care.com or Sittercity.com. Basic services are free for care providers.
Be on the lookout for my future blogs to provide some tips to be a good sitter, and how you can make even MORE money as a caregiver!
The information provided above is not sponsored by any site or service. All information is based solely on my own experiences and is for informational and entertainment purposes only.