Well, finally the cheap side lost. We found an apartment that met our needs, and we would be comfortable in for the foreseeable future. As two adults in their late twenties who are looking to eventually start a life together, we needed our own space. I graduated college (finally) and there was no longer an excuse. After cutting that check for the down payment, and first month’s rent, I still feel great about it, no buyer’s remorse! There is a calm that comes over me in my space. It’s close to family, but not in the same house. All of our needs are met, and I don’t feel like we will outgrow the space in a year or so because it was never right for us in the first place.
It amazed me how quickly we felt at home. Our friends not only helped us get in and set everything up, but then stayed, had some beers and really made us feel comfortable. It was great. One friend even gave me some spare pots and pans when I swore I had some stored away and couldn’t find them.
What also amazed us was all of the furniture in the apartment. We got so much for free, it was pretty amazing. We only paid for three pieces of furniture!
- Sofa – Free used from my sister
- Wingback chair and ottoman- free from boyfriend’s sister
- Coffee table – free from my sister
- Ikea bookshelf – free from my sister
- Blue bookshelf- free from my best friend
- Small brown shelves – boyfriend made them in high school shop class
- Nightstand currently used as an end table – free from my grandfather
- TV Stand – Free from friend’s grandmother
- Large Dresser – Free from grandfather’s things
- Small dresser – Free from parents
- Bed Frame Free from boyfriend’s brother in law
- Orange Loveseat – $40 off of a Facebook Yardsale Page
- Split Queen Box Spring - $159.00 from a discount mattress place
- Queen Memory Foam Mattress - ~ $200.00 off of Overstock.com during a Cyber Monday Sale.
All in all I think we’ve done well for ourselves. No, it doesn’t all match, but I’m just going to call it eclectic. And yes, it does have scratches and nicks, but I will see it as well loved. Each piece of furniture for our new little home was acquired by seizing an opportunity, or hunting out the right piece for the right price, and I’m pretty proud of that.